Today is the day

     I went into today feeling really good. Positive.  I didn't sleep well but I woke up and stayed busy up to my appointment time.  Which was at 2:30 in the afternoon. 
     We got there with not a minute to spare.  My hubby John went with me.  We spent about 15 minutes in the waiting area.  John couldn't go back with me.  So I have to do this by myself.  Sort of.
     I changed out of my bra and top and put on the normal white robe that has blue flowers or whatever the heck those are, and two ties to keep it closed.  I put my belongings into a locker and went to sit in the "ladies" waiting area.
     There was one other lady there. She had red hair. She was in her robe, reading a magazine with one leg over the other.  I didn't feel like reading.  I tried to however.  I picked up a Newsweek magazine and tried to read about the Russians meddling in our election process.  None of it was registering so I just put it down. 
     The lady with the red hair, started talking to me about the weather.  It was really hot outside.  Over 100 degrees.  Very absent minded conversation.  Easy small talk.  She was telling me about her vehicle when the nurse came to get me for my mammogram. 
     The nurse and I walked down the hallway to the room at the end.  There was the mammogram machine, a computer station, and a wall with clear plastic doodads for the machine.  I sat in a small folding chair while she input my info into the computer.  I think she was telling me all about the machine.  How it would work etc.  She did ask me several questions about myself.  Nothing invasive. 
     I had my breasts placed and squashed, ever so slightly with this kitchen aide machine as she referred to it.  Hahaha.  It wasn't painful.  It was just awkward.  It was fairly quick to take several pictures of my breasts.  No words yet.
     The Ultrasound was next.  I had to go back to the ladies waiting area. The lady with the red hair was still there.  She struck up conversation about her vehicle where she left off.  I vaguely remember it.  She was called back after a few minutes.  Alone. Waiting.  My nurse came in to let me know that it would be another 10 minutes.  Ok. Head back, eyes closed. 
     The red head came back in . She was smiling and jovial.  She let me know how her ultrasound went. It was good news.  I told her thats wonderful and I was waiting for mine.  She wished me luck, said she would say a prayer for me.  Patted me on my shoulder.  She went to get dressed.  My nurse came back in to get me. 
     Ultrasound room.  I lie down on my back.  Nurse gets the warm gel on me, explains what she's doing.  She starts taking measurements with the images etc.  I ask what the difference is between the mammogram and the ultrasound.  She says the US can differentiate between fluid and tissue.  Ok.  Cool. No more questions.  I look at her face for a clue.  She's got a very intent expression.  Uh oh that's not good, right? It can't be good.  Nah, she's just doing her job well.  Concentrating.  Yeah. 
     Done.  The Dr will come in next and go over the results with you.  She isn't going to like the US results.  What? Why? She will want to do a biopsy and blah blah blah blah blah.  I need a biopsy? That's not good right? Its just a biopsy.  They have to do them all the time.  Lots of women get benign results.  Oh they are bringing John back.  Not good. 
     Dr.  Comes in.  Looks at my US, tells me that it doesn't look good.  They want a biopsy, but it does look like cancer.  Room goes a little sideways.  John touches my arm.  I briefly glance at him.  Do I cry? What do I do.  I don't know.  Questions,  um....i don't remember. 
     I had the core biopsy done, it was pretty painless. I had another mammogram image taken of the rice size pellet they placed in my breast.  A marker.  I left with John. That's it right?
Cancer.  More info on Monday when the results of the biopsy come back. The coordinator will give me a call to set the ball rolling.  Whatever that entails.  Oh yeah. I go for an mri next.  Shock. 
    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mastectomy Time

You do have a lump

A long couple of weeks